Sunday, January 2, 2011

More Fashion

       
         After doing my last post on "The Golden Age of Couture," I decided that I must write another post on my favorite piece from the collection: "Les Muguets" by Hubert de Givenchy.The dress was made in 1955, but the original commissioner is unknown.
          What struck me most about this particular Givenchy's innovation of the "New Look" ideas set forth by Dior combined with his own personal touches. Givenchy incorporated the cinched waste and feminine, full skirt contemporary of the "Golden Age", but he created a greater sense of delicacy and beauty through his use of embroidery and train. The dress is made even more feminine through its elaborate design and long train.  When I saw the dress in person, The dress literally sparkles in every direction. Each bead was sewn of individually, and every pattern done separately; the intricacy is absolutely overwhelming.
           This dress is stunning. Enough said. I dream about it.

Here is a close-up on the embroidery. Absolutely incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment